Saturday, May 30, 2009

Caretakers are “Angels” in Disguise

Caretakers are “Angels” in Disguise

According to Webster’s Dictionary, caretaker is defined as a person hired to take care of something or someone. The word that caught my attention is hired. By definition, again from Webster’s Dictionary, hired means to get the services of a person in return for payment.

When I think of the word caretaker, a different image comes to mind. A person not hired for pay, but who volunteers from the heart to help another in need. Their services are vast, from a kind word to a much needed bath. The reach of the caretaker reaches near and far.

On March 11, 2006, I entered into a new realm of caretaker. Prior to March 11, 2006, I was the long distance caretaker for one precious lady, My Sister My Hero, Cathy Porter Ms. Wheelchair Maryland 2007. Cathy has Cerebral Palsy … but it does stop her from living life to its fullest. Read her memoir at http://www.nancycarey.com/.

Although we rarely lived in the same state, God still used me in service for him. He used my voice … and he used it well. In addition to being sisters, Cathy and I are best friends; rarely a day goes by without a phone call. Like clockwork, I call her to confirm she is ok and all is well. Being a caretaker is more than caring for the physical body, but for the emotional side as well.

A kind word is like good medicine – it encourages the heart and gives hope. From one precious lady, God spread my wings and widened my caretaker path. He opened the doors to the Ms. Wheelchair America program http://www.mswheelchairamerica.org/. A program that expanded my “caretaker” duties wider than I could ever imagine. And what was my payment – absolute JOY.

It’s an honor to be a caretaker, to offer my able-bodied arms, legs, eyes and ears to those less fortunate. And to offer my services without pay is a blessing.

So the next time you hear the word “caretaker,” don’t turn away and say, “Not me!” But open your heart to the possibility of being a blessing to someone – without pay. Send a card, make a call, stop by to visit – once you offer your services to God, he will use you as an “angel” for someone in need.

http://www.nancycarey.com/
(c) Nancy Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment