Sunday, April 4, 2010

Niki Swann Ms. Wheelchair VA 2010-2011

WOW! I now have a new appreciation for judging. It is a serious obligation, and certainly not one to be taken lightly.

It was a learning experience for me; it stretched my comfort zones by miles. It taught me valuable lessons in seeing beyond the physical. These ladies were amazing -- totally amazing. The ROLLED through their fears and ROLLED into victory lane. All of them were winners in my eyes.

2006, four years ago, I walked through the doors of the Holiday Inn, Midlothian,VA as a volunteer. 2010 I walked through the doors of the Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center as a judge. Four years of incredible growth and knowledge in the disability community.

The Ms. Wheelchair America program has changed the lives of EVERYONE involved - from the contestants, to the volunteers, to the judges. NO ONE crosses their threshold and remains the same. If they do -- they left their heart outside the door.

I leave you with this motto: VOLUNTEER - it literally changes your life!

Nancy

No comments:

Post a Comment