Monday, August 24, 2009

Abundance is FREE

What can you give when you have nothing to give? What did you think about when you read that question? Money? Well, it is the most logical. But it’s not the answer I was looking for.

You can be flat broke and give from your abundance. I know what you are thinking, “If I am flat broke, what abundance do I have?”

I’ll share the answer in a moment, but first think about this …

What do you have in abundance that is yours to give away – other than MONEY? Think outside the box and search your heart.

Come on … I know you know the answer.

Actually, there are two things EVERYONE has in abundance …

Time and Talent – whether you are rich or poor, you have these in abundance!!!

When God created us, he gave us the same twenty-four hours per day and he gifted us with special talents. Some recognize their talents immediately i.e. singing or drawing, but there are also talents that are not seen or heard. They are talents within the heart. While many use their time and talent for selfish reasons, many use their time and talent for Godly reasons.

Volunteering opened my eyes to what giving from my abundance really means. It does not mean giving of my MONEY (although I do), but it means giving of my Time and Talent freely to help God’s children.

I was reminded how precious our time and talents are this weekend. My husband and I gave up our weekend TIME to visit his brother in another state who is experiencing difficulties with his health. Our intention was to just visit and enjoy their company.

But God had other plans in mind. He had plans to prosper both families – one as the giver of time and talent and one as the receiver of the time and talent.

Hours before our departure, the bathroom toilet broke and needed immediate attention – an expensive repair. But, instead of calling the plumber, my husband pulled up his sleeves and made the necessary repairs saving his brother hundreds of dollars. And he did it for FREE – he used his Time and Talent (no, he is not a plumber) but experienced in plumbing repairs. He gave of his abundance of time and knowledge to bless his brother.

Without any exchange of MONEY, both brothers were blessed.
When we think of ABUNDANCE, we automatically think of MONEY and what it can buy – BIG houses, expensive cars and elaborate vacations. Or as most associate, the life of the rich and famous.

But that’s not what God thinks of abundance. He thinks of abundance as giving all we have to the work of the Lord. When we give from the heart, we give out of the abundance of all the riches in the world. And the return on the investment is treasures worth more than all the gold in the world – God’s blessings!!!

So the next time you’re asked to GIVE from your abundance, consider the abundance of your time and talent before you consider the MONEY in your pocket.

(c) Nancy Carey
Author: My Sister My Hero Cathy Porter Ms. Wheelchair MD 2007
www.nancycarey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment