Sunday, August 9, 2009

What does the word DISABILITY mean to you?

What does the word DISABILITY mean to you?

For me, it means “wheelchair.” Why? Because I’ve volunteered since March 2006 with incredible ladies in wheelchairs. So when my sister, Cathy Porter (Ms. Wheelchair Maryland 2007) and I were invited to attend the W.E.A.N. Self-Esteem Workshop for Girls 13-18 with Disabilities, my first thought was “wheelchairs.” I was the event photographer while Cathy was a “whatever needed” volunteer.

But I was totally wrong in my perception. What WALKED through the door of this event were incredible girls NOT in wheelchairs. These precious young ladies were labeled “disabled” not because of their physical disability, but because of a brain disability. The mother-daughter event touched my heart – and changed my thinking.

My life changed the day I photographed these girls – I learned how beautiful they are on the inside as well as the outside. Their “joy” was evident with their contagious laughter and willingness to share what their disability meant to them.

What did I learn from these precious girls?
· They are very protective of their families
· They want to be treated equal
· They love new adventures
· They love the CAMERA
· And most of all, they love their MOTHERS

Mothers – oh my, I was overwhelmed with emotion at their dedication to their daughters. It reminded me of Cathy and our mom – the mom who refused to put Cathy away when she was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.

My eyes were also opened to another revelation – wheelchair users love to volunteer. These precious Queens from W.E.A.N. (Women Empowered Abilities Now) were the most giving volunteers to these able-bodied attendees. The served with their hearts – and gave love to all who walked across the threshold of this event.

Disability means different things to different people. A disability can be mild to severe, but it almost means an opportunity for the able-bodied (body and brain) to volunteer to help.

I WALKED away from this event with renewed appreciation of ALL my abilities. And I also WALKED away with a renewed quest to share the blessings of volunteering.

Appreciate who you are – what you can do – and never WALK away from an opportunity to GIVE of your abilities.

www.wean1.org
www.nancycarey.com
(c) Nancy Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment